Sunday, November 22, 2009

A three week review

It's been three weeks now since I stated in a previous blog entry (I feel the need for some Discipline!) that it was time to get some more discipline and order as my life was running wild, or wild for me. With that week I started back on the weights and trying to run consistently: planned activities for 6 days / week.

This past week I was able to get in all my planned workouts; 5 with the weights and 5 runs - the second time in these last three weeks. My total mileage was 34 with a weekly avg of just under 9 min/mi. Yesterdays long run was 12.6 miles at 8:52 - about 10 seconds/mi slower than my normal pace (which means I should try to push myself a little harder during the shorter runs- something I already knew but have been struggling with).

Strength: as I look over my log from three weeks ago and compare it to the one for this past week I can see similar routines with more reps at the same weight or higher weights or extra exercises:
- pull ups (very hard for me) [4,5,2,2,3,2] Tues week 1 vs Tue last week [5,6,3,2 1/2,3,2] and my pull up ladder on Th went to 4 where the first week it didn't
- bench press has a couple more reps through out the weight range
- most all exercises are showing some small improvements
- I've also added more time in warm up with stretching and I've added some crunches there as well
- I am also noticing that I am putting on a little muscle (hopefully that would be the reason for my weight increasing ~2lbs since starting 3 weeks ago)
- The last two work out this week also felt better - not quite so mentally difficult: this is a good sign.
- Plans: follow the same routine for another 3 weeks as I think there are still benefits here to be gained

Running: has been enjoyable again, but I've not been pushing myself very hard.
- I've been struggling a bit with motivation to push hard and have instead just allowed myself to run at an easy/comfortable pace (usually just under 9 min/mi)
- Yesterdays 1:50 run, when it was all done seemed like I had only been gone 20 minutes!?
- My long run had an AHR of 139 - much like the previous days of this week: 140, 137, ?, 139.
- I know I would have more Aerobic benefits if I would push harder a couple days a week, but I've not been able to successfully do this recently - not sure why.
- Plans: to try again to get at least one run/week in at a higher pace/HR.

Weight: not much to say here. I'm not loosing any weight - actually gained 2 lbs since getting back to the weights 3 weeks ago. I'm not going to say it's all muscle, but I do know my lean tissue is increasing. I would expect by the end of this next three week cycle to see my fat decrease and probably have a reduction in weight. None the less, for each lb of muscle gained - I get the benefit of 50 more calories per day being burned up.

My key reminder this week: life is relational. It's much more than setting goals, attaining goals, being successful, prosperous, or anything else like that: those are some of the many tools of the trade of life, but not life itself. IMO the real work and satisfaction of life is relational - with God, family, friends, strangers, riding buddies, people we see at the store, on the street, ... where ever life takes us for as long as we have. With Thanksgiving coming this week - it's something to be mindful of.


[Photos: a tiny flower on a weed out back, but on close examination it is very pretty and fascinating, a nice yellow flower out front, even a tall blade of grass towers over this pretty flowering weed.]


5 comments:

  1. when running set a goal, its easier to push yourself. like "I want under a 6 minute mile this time.

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's neat that you keep a log so you can see the progress you're making, like a couple more pull ups. (Those are HARD!!)

    And wow, what a cool flower. I never would have expected something so intricate from a weed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I very much like and use goals Hannah. Just lately I've been struggling mentaly with hard goals - like running a sub 6 minute mile would be for me.
    ----------
    And yes .. I'm a logger.
    It really is a cool flower - especially being so small and likely very few people have ever even taken notice of it. To bad ... for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan, congrats on your journey, setting and obtaining goals, thinking about life and taking photos of wildflowers. Even weeds have a name, this one with the pinky flowers is henbit, Lamium amplexicaule.

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement Frances. It's kind of funny how when I'm looking for a photo I am drawn to plants, nature and most anything with a macro focus.

    I think it's neat that you know the name of this little 'weed'. You have likely noticed many amazing things that I've yet to discover .. but I'm looking now. :)

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .