Thursday, August 21, 2014

A "Bucket Handle" tear of the Medial Meniscus

It's been almost 5 days now since I injured my left knee. After the weekend I've now had an MRI (with a diagnosis of a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus), seen an Orthopedic Surgeon and now have a surgery date set for 1 week from today.

The following entries will be an attempt to document the process of healing and rehabilitation with the hope and intent of getting back to 'a life of training'.

I have stepped back from weight lifting which I will start back up again today since I am no longer able to get any aerobic exercise in my regular forms (mountain biking, road cycling, running, golf, ...).  The weight lifting will focus on strengthening of my upper body.

The recovery is dependent on so many factors:
  • what is done in the procedure (which won't be know for certain until during the surgery [removal or repair of the torn meniscus flap])
  • blood flow to the area
  • current damage to the meniscus
  • rehabilitation program
  • overall health
  • ... lots of other variables, some known - some not

It's a new path - but God is still God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .