Monday, March 1, 2010

After 17 weeks...

[Photos: one of the breakfasts I prepared for my wife this last week (1 egg with grilled onion, bell pepper, spinach and cheese with refried beans (no lard/msg)), even 30 minutes on the trainer gets my pores sweating - even in 40 degree temps: it's a messy workout.]

It's kind of hard to believe that it's been 17 weeks now (started on Nov 2) of purposeful strength training (via weights and core exercises). The last recorded session was in March on 2009 - the longest period of time in the last ~7 years with out doing some regular weight training. (It was do cycling.)

As I look at my log entry for that first week, I see several things that are different now:
  • I have a much more formal and through (and difficult) warm up time
  • The max weight for my heavy bench routine then was 195 for 2 reps: last week 195 is my second set weight and done for 8 reps: followed by 5@215, 3@225, 2@235 and 1@245
  • The pull up ladder was up to 4 (1,2,3,4,3,2,1) with a note saying I couldn't do 5: last week was the first week that I can remember (ever) where I did a pull up ladder to 7 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1); that's 16 ttl vs 49 ttl
  • My routines used to take 40 to 45 minutes and now take 55 to 65 minutes
  • I've added a few additional exercises
  • All the weights are up from that first week
  • I've added a bi-weekly routine change on Mondays switching from a more intense circuit to an intense strength routine
  • I've had to replace my heavy punching bag as the other one started to tear after several years of 'taking a beating': my replacement is doing well and still taking a regular beating too

Even with the differences, the underlying structure is still noticeably similar. I'm still doing the same groups on the same days. Wed, core day, has become a time with my wife joining me - since week 7 with only a few absences.

What's nice is that I really enjoy the results - and sometimes the workouts too; certainly it's very nice when they are done. It' s my hope to keep it up for another 12 weeks - June 1. I need to put some thought to some more concrete goals, but will do that when time allows. As for time, it's time to go do my circuit Monday routine now, so I'll just add that I had two 8 mile runs and two rides on my trainer, and three 2 mile runs with my wife this past week - besides the 5 weight and core sessions. I had one day with 3 activities: weights (morning), running(lunch) and cycling(evening) - which is something I enjoy when it happens.

Final thoughts: think about where you want to go or be with your health and fitness, recruit some help if you're not able to put a plan together to help you get there, and very important, START. Then, equally important, PERSEVERE: don't quit, work through the challenges and you will indeed see fruit of your labors - I know I am. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .