Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Exercising with my Wife - and my heart

It was nice to work out with my wife again today. Last week she was ill and unable to join me on our 'core and legs' routine.


Today we had some extra fun by taking the camera with us. We both took a few pictures of each other working out. Of course not all pictures taken are to be shared ... but, I'll attach a couple here for fun. More than the photos taken today are now the memories we've shared together. [Photos: one of the roses I recently gave her, both of us doing our high jumping (trying to hit our heads on the ceiling).]


We do the normal warm up routine of stretching and some core exercises then start our circuit. Today it was:
- good mornings
- decline sit ups
- jumping (one leg at a time and then both trying to hit our head on the ceiling)
- squats
- leg raises
- L's
- and lastly calve raises

We did two circuits of this. The only thing that I help my wife with is doing the sit ups - lifting her up and letting her do the negative portion of the exercise. She will help me sometimes to - by hitting me in the stomach when I'm doing mine. The rest of the time we are sharing the same space, talking, being playful, teasing, laughing, admiring, ... enjoying our time together.


I like working out alone most of the time - which is good since that's my norm. It allows me to be more intense and not have any inhibitions with someone else around, but it's still nice to work out with someone else once in a while - especially my weekly routine with my wife. When I get to work out with others it's not just about my training but about interactions, sharing, helping, coaching, encouraging .. all the stuff that happens in my own head for myself now gets to be shared and spoken.


If given the chance to exercise with your spouse - take it. Don't get frustrated that you are at different places, don't be impatient, but rather enjoy the time together. Be silly, vulnerable, show a part of you that your spouse may not get to see very often - open your heart and let down your guard. I can only speak from my own recent experience - it's working for us! :-)

5 comments:

  1. To funny, glad you guy's have been able to work out together.
    Hannah H. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Awesome.
    It sounds like a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it's pretty fun! We get some work done - but more importantly is we're doing it together. God is working to help me Love my wife more today then ever before - and that's life changing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to remove a word from the previous title .. to many wierdo's out there!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .