Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bowled a 236 game

[Photo: my best bowling game to date: 236 :-]

This morning I got to go bowling with my family - that was nice. As a family we bought shoes years ago and have a large container of them now for our family and 'guests' that join us too. This morning it was just the six of us though and the bowling alley was mostly empty. We have an offer that my frugal wife bought at the beginning of summer so we can bowl two games each. Since we all have our own shoes - there's no cost.

Before today I bowled one game probably 15+ years ago over 200 (in the low 200's). Well today, started with remembering where I was standing and aiming from the last time we bowled as a family (179 and 169 that time). But today was different that first game: I was able to put the ball over my mark .. and get strikes; seven of them in that game with two spares and one open frame - the 10th. When it was finished my score was 236. It's my best game to date - and I was able to do it with my family! [For those that are interested: I throw a straight ball, I stand two boards to the right of the last dot on the floor and aim for the fourth dot from the left of the first set of dot's on the lane.]

So, I don't know who like to bowl that reads this - but it's a fun family activity and if you make the investment to buy shoes it becomes very affordable.

My Grandma used to take me bowling when I was a kid and she's the one that gets credit for teaching me how to bowl (even though I don't quite have her unique approach walk). She was a good bowler - and for you that remember the game show 'Bowling for Dollars' - she was on that. She didn't win much as I remember, she said the lanes were very waxed (slippery). She also used to fish with me and taught me how to play penuchle! And I think she was better at both of those activities than I was too!! She has passed away for many years now, but Grandma Rose was quite a character, fun and silly ... and some might say that I too am becoming a bit of a character too!

So this morning I bowled the highest score game of my life to date!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the high score! As Grandma Rose was known to exlaim (quite loudly, of course) "HOLY TOMOLEY!!" :) Thanks for sharing some of your fun memories of her.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ready for the PBA!

    My mom bought us bowling shoes as we bowled when my little sister had ballet lessons. We had Duck Pin bowling in MD. Ever heard of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Jon, I've never heard of 'Duck Pin' bowling. It makes me think of a bowling that my Grandma used to do where they would put in red and blue pins and based on the position of those extra pins, some strikes were worth money: kind of like bingo. The name of it escapes me now ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .