Friday, June 5, 2009

Even a 'coach' needs a 'coach'.

Th and Fr this week were rides in the morning. Friday was supposed to be a run - but there was no wind...so I couldn't help myself, I had to ride ... :-)
My lack of daily updates is reflective of my routine and schedule: being up in the air still. Yesterday was the last day of school so I should be able to get into a new morning routine. That is a positive: the flip side of that is I'm trying to have a running and bike goal and cut back on the time spent training...which isn't working out so well. Running 3 times a week and biking 3 times a week just isn't enough to make the progress that I'd like to see. So, I'm not sure what to do about it yet. (Any ideas?)

The Th ride was getting back into intervals. Not at the level that I remember at the beginning of the year, but not a bad start (any start is good at this point). And the last hill time was under 2 minutes - much better than I had been doing. It's difficult to be patient, but I know it's going to take several weeks for the change from long moderate rides to shorter intense rides and runs to start showing up as progress - but I know it will eventually.

Th night was watching a graduation ... that was fun and seems to cause some good reflection. There is another tonight and Sat too! I guess that's one of the neat parts of knowing and being involved with High Schoolers - they to age and eventually graduate. [Two of the photos are from the graduation on Th night.]

Today's ride was difficult to push myself. I struggled to get my HR up, which can be a sign of needing more recovery - or it could be a sign of a lazy person not wanting to work hard, I'm not sure which accurately describes me today. I did about as good as I could today and will have to leave it at that. I also got to go hit a bucket of balls during lunch with my old friend JM. He's a far better golfer than I, but it was still fun! And even got to walk with my wife this evening. [Which is where one of the photos came from: we saw the tarantella crossing the road - which we see a lot at this time of the year. We also saw many fire flies. Two things that we didn't see growing up on the West Coast.]

The thought that I had today was, "Even a coach needs a coach." There are several people that I interact with in a 'coaching' type of way; I too would benefit from some accountability, encouragement and coaching. And another thing that often helps when the motivation is struggling...a new electronic training aide! Something like a power meter - yeah, that'd help...more data, better ability to measure progress and effort...(the gadget challenged would say, "A new toy." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .