Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Others success doesn't reduce my accomplishments

Today's run was another time when God held back the rain until I returned ... like yesterday and many other times too.

[Photos: what has become my staple breakfast - oatmeal (millet, oatmeal, raisins, ground flaxseed, ground almonds, olive oil, soy milk and maple syrup) and a followup smoothie (orange, (out of apples) spinach, pulp from juicing sweet potato and beat and carrot, olive oil, almond, crasins, spinach, whey protein powder, soy milk and ice).
I drink a small amount of the smoothie after my oatmeal to aid in recovery and take the rest to work as a mid-morning snack.]


The thought that came to mind this morning while running behind another runner (probably 25 yr's older and going close to the same pace) was: "Should I be running faster than him?" It was a terrible question to me as what it was reveling and exposing are deeper issues...that need to be considered.

"Do I really think I should be running faster than someone just because they are older than me? Why? Do I only train to be faster than others? What about improving myself: do I train to be my best - even if I were the only one competing? Hmmm...why am I training?" These are heart and motive questions that I'm still reflecting on.

After an hour and a half I do have some initial thoughts. My current goals are to aim for a marathon in the fall (hoping for an 8 min / mi pace) and to aim for a century ride at 5 hrs or less. Both of these goals are personal and not based on any comparing to others or what they can do - they are milestones that I'd like to accomplish.

This mornings thought was good to revel how pride can weasel it's way into my life. I don't want to be comparing myself to others. I guess that's why I keep PR's, so I can see how I'm doing compared to myself. It would be neat to have a running buddy who was 25 years my senior. Maybe God will provide such a man someday. But for now I need to appreciate being out preformed by those younger, older and of the opposite sex.

Others success doesn't reduce my accomplishments - that's a key thing to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .