Sunday, January 17, 2010

53 Strength workouts in 11 weeks

[Photos: Sunrise, almost empty stadium at my daughters soccer game.]

Over the last 11 weeks I've missed two of my scheduled workouts: both being Friday routines. Four days a week this is the first thing I do (while my family sleeps), but on Friday I have a weekly 6 AM meeting. Just that variation to my schedule will sometimes make it so my 5th routine gets bumped to Sat and twice now has been missed all together.

Improvements for this Week:
This week I saw a six on the pull up ladder - something I've not seen since Nov of 2007. (That means I went from 1 to 6 and then back to 1.) That's a good thing considering my weight is up right now. I also added a 6 @ 6 routine that I'll be doing every other Monday for the next several weeks. I started at 185 this week, but have done 200 in the past and would like to get back there again (hopefully 4 - 6 weeks out). And lastly I did an informal 1 minute sit up test going opposite elbow to opposite knee and did 54. I also added a new 1 rep set of 235 to my heavy bench routine. So, even after 11 weeks there are still improvements and progress.

Intensity and a proper mix of variation and routine seem to be the key. The routine is good for actually doing it regularly, while the variation happens with in the regular with good intensity. The fruit continues to be improvement, with out injury, with out burnout and mostly training alone.

The Value of having a Routine - Schedule - Regime:
Before starting back up 11 weeks ago (11/2) the last entry in my weight training log was 3/18 - just over 43 weeks ago. Even with not strength training for 43 weeks; now after 11 weeks my strength is higher than where it was when I stopped in March. At that time I was cutting back the strength training as my cycling time was increasing in preparation for the 6 Day 600 mile ride this past May. My routine was changing to early morning rides on the trainer. I still remember setting the alarm for 4:43. It was quite a schedule, but it was effective and worked as I was prepared for the ride.

I have found and it is now my practice to put in place a training schedule to help my reach my goals. I will usually work form the goal date and then work backwards planning the time needed in training to (as best as I can guess) accomplish the goal. This works good for running and cycling.

I don't have a set strength goal date, but I do have a few goals: Continue to improve. I'd like to do 10 pull ups and maybe even 20 someday. I've not benched over 260, so maybe 275 would be a neat bench goal.

The only 'Sure' time to Train:
I also need to get my cardio back on a schedule. Lunch is just to much hit and miss. So, as in the past, I will likely subtract it from my alarm time and get it in first thing - part of my regime. That being said, I think I just lost 45 minutes from my morning rest. I'll start with 5 AM and subtract more if needed. That also means getting to bed on time. Such is the routine of a full life.

I'll continue doing the weights first, then drink my home made nutrition drink and then will plan on riding on the trainer. That's easy to say, but we'll see how it goes this week. (Except for Monday which is a holiday.) Tuesday will be the first day on this routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .