Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lifetime PR!

I got to run with someone today who on our run accomplished something that they had never done before: how neat is that?!

Now before saying what it is, I think I first want to say "What it is" isn't as important as what was required to accomplish it. We all have mental barriers that challenge our beliefs when we set goals and try to accomplish them. These can be false - and often are, but in our minds they are very real limits. Sometimes we need the help of someone else who doesn't have our barriers to help us. That was the case today.


The success of today was built on recent smaller successes where whittling had started to take place on existing perceived limitations. When we finished I asked if this person would have done it with out my running with them? "NO." I didn't influence the pace up or down, I just planned the route and provided some extra encouragement, motivation, maybe a little different thought process and exposed some barriers as false when they came to the surface.

[I think that is the part of leading, mentoring, teaching, training, fathering, coaching, ... that is so fulfilling - seeing others push back their limitations.]

Today, I ran with my wife. We've run and walked together over the years. Our last run we ran with out stopping over the route - a first. Today we ran a longer route with hills for a total distance that she doesn't think she has ever run before. I think the distance and time isn't as important as accomplishing something for the first time - and now as a Grandma! Go Grandma!! Go Grandma!!!


[Photo: two dogs in the wrong beds, the big one picked the little bed, so the little one went for the big bed.]

2 comments:

  1. Yay - go Tracy, go!

    :) Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy said "Thanks" Janet. I didn't run with her yesterday, but told her I thought she should do the same run to prove she could do it by herself - and she did!
    She said she wanted to stop, but knew that I'd be questioning her about it ... positive pressure! :-)

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .