Monday, December 21, 2009

Back on the Saddle Again

It's been over 3 months since I've ridden my bike outside; the weather last weekend was very tempting, but I had no time. This weekend was more than I could resist. Having missed my Friday workout and Saturday run - with only two shorter runs this week, when Sunday afternoon started to give way to early evening ... I was able to go for a ride.


I was a little nervous as it had been so long, but after a couple miles I was fine. The routine to get ready to ride is more complicated then going for a run:
check / lube the chain
check brakes
check tires - inflate to proper air pressure (120 psi)
prepare two water bottles
decide on clothing
backpack or fanny pack or none
pack phone, camera, something to eat
check lights
find shoes, gloves, helmet and mirror, glasses
put on chap stick,
...
It's quite an extensive procedure. From the time I took my bike off the rack to being ready to leave it was over 30 minutes.


The ride was part of my regular route last year: over the dam and up to Lake Ridge. The wind was out of the South so it was in my face on the way out and helping me on the way back: a good thing for a first ride after 3 months. It was nice to get out. I could feel the loss of stamina in my legs as I would go up some of the hills / inclines. Over the bridge I got to do my TT (time trial) section and managed 31 mph avg for the .5 miles with 181 as a peek HR. Over all the ride was 17.8 mph avg and 150 avg HR.


I continue to be pleased with the bike that God allowed me to be able to buy - well above my pay grade and experience, and something I don't take for granted. Having served my for over 5,000 miles earlier this year and hanging from the ceiling for the last 3 months -- it needed very little service and rode like the champ that it is. (Go Cannondale!)


I don't like missing my Friday workouts as those are the second workouts of the week that focus on the muscles that are helping me improve in my pull ups - something that I would very much like to have improve. I can do 7 now, but I'd like to get over 10 with the hopes of 20 some day. I've found that twice a week is enough to have improvement, but once just isn't enough. So, hopefully this week I'll get all five workouts in.


At the passing of another year I am more thankful for my health. One of the gifts I was given was a nice kitchen knife. I have some OK knives, but this one .. is amazing to use. It's almost like everything I cut is soft: it just goes right through it. I wish I would have gotten a premium knife years ago. (This one is a J.A.Henckels 8" Chef knife.) I have $10 chef knife and like it, but it just wont keep it's edge. I cook a fair bit if meals and dishes - so it's fitting for me to have a nice knife.


Eating wise: my weight is back to where it was 8 weeks ago. I've jumped 2 lbs down to 4 lbs up - 6 lbs. It's easy for me to move 1-2% in just a day or two. I continue to see some muscle growth, but I also see extra weight around my mid section. I have been doing pretty well with not eating much junk - until buying some Mint-Chip Blue Bell Ice Cream on Sat. That's my favorite ice cream and flavor - so I've had some every day since then.


My Monday routine is hard, or at least challenging in that it requires a high intensity level. There are no single exercises - all of them are in the form of two different but related exercises with no, or just a short, rest (30 seconds or less). I don't do heavy weights, but do more reps which lead to tight muscles before I'm done. Only minor improvements over last Mondays routine: which is acceptable as my intensity level is already high on this day so improvements are more likely to be due to strength increases over a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Great detail on preping for the ride. Way to share God's blessings in your every day life. I think God wants us to approach everything in life with this attitude. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Thanks Jon. How are those weights coming?

    I rode the bike on the trainer last night .. and am hoping to blog sometime later today; first I have to head out to the garage and get in my overdue Friday workout (late this week and missed last week)!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .