Monday, December 14, 2009

Time to hang up the shoes, but...

I've been running off and on for enough weeks now that I was expecting my times to be coming down by now. Last week during one of my runs, I was thinking about how I'm not motivated to work a lot harder in running to see the improvements that I'd like to see.

It was a moment of truth and honesty. Then this weekend, Sunday was such a beautiful day I wanted very much to be out riding my bike - especially after seeing three cyclists on the route that I normally ride. So I was thinking it was about time to hang up my running shoes sometime soon and start back on the bike again. I have been off it for a couple months now and I'm starting to look forward to riding again.

Then I went for a run today: it was a beautiful day, sunny, warm, running in a tank top. It was just so nice. Not the hassles of cycling: the extra gear, pumping up tires, checking brakes, helmet ... more prep time. I was just able to put my shoes on and head out the door. I didn't wear my chest strap, so I don't have my HR numbers, but I didn't think that was too important as I've not been pushing myself for the last 3 weeks or so. I did wear the GPS though, so I could track the time and distance information.

Numbers: just over 5 miles, 40:06 time, avg 7:57 /mi, max 5:50 / mi, ~760 calories. I haven't tried to avg under 8 minutes for probably 4 weeks. So today was just a 'enjoy running day' and it was quick and very nice - enough to make me want to keep running (and maybe add some bike rides for now).

[Photo: this mornings log from the weights showing the up arrows.]
The weights this morning were good. Monday is mostly chest, triceps and forearms - besides the normal warm up. I like to put little arrows in my log book when I go up in reps from the previous week - this morning there were many up arrows. By the end of the work out I had some tight muscles which is the fruit of a good work out for me. (When I go down in reps I put in down arrows.)

Weight: is up a couple lbs - and I know better than to think it's just an increase in lean body mass. There has been some of that, but I can still see and feel some not so lean mass around my midsection ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .