Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 1 - Week 6

Since this is the 6th week, I've modified my routine a little more.

[Photos: our small dog in his bed, our big dog in our small dogs bed, both dogs in our small dogs bed.]

The last 5 weeks have been good in the sense of increasing in strength (and muscle). The intent isn't so much muscle growth, but I was starting at a place where I had been cycling and not doing any strength training for ~ 8 months. So, a little muscle growth is a natural by product of the strength training and probably a good thing too. In the log book I can see more reps and higher weights - more to support my perception that the current training is effective.

There is much talk about keeping variation in a training routine so the body never gets used to a routine or work load. I have been doing that over the last couple weeks and have added some more variation this week. Specifically what I did to my Monday routine today:
  • The light bench routine is now done at the same weight for all three sets (135 lbs) and now has a 30 second rest after each set and then a set of dips is done; followed by 30 seconds and then another set on the bench. Three cycles of this is done .. it's a workout that I felt well into the afternoon.
  • The decline bench is the same as the regular bench with the exception of a closer grip and by the 5th and 6th set of dips I was just squeaking out 1 rep.
  • I then did a circuit of incline bench with light weight bar bells (35 lbs) and butterflies at 25 lbs; doing three cycles with no rest.
  • Lastly it was triceps: push downs forwards and reverse grip with 30 seconds in between starting at 30 lbs and ending with 50 lbs.
  • I always start with a more through warm up now that includes twists, sides, hanging, L's, punching bag, crunches and 60 seconds holding a plank - about 12 minutes of warm ups.
  • The whole routine took me 51 minutes today.
During lunch it was cool (~42) and drizzly. Not what I've been used to running in, but I had to run as it had been over a week since my last run. So .. I put on my running tights and a windbreaker, ear covers and a visor and headed out. I ran just over 5 miles and ran just for fun. It was very nice and enjoyable. The avg pace was 8:32. I was also able to encourage my wife to go for a run over lunch too. That was good as she has a harder time being motivated when it's gray, wet and cold. She wanted to, but just needed a little extra push to do it. (More good coaching - IMHO.)

2 comments:

  1. I like what you said here:
    "There is much talk about keeping variation in a training routine so the body never gets used to a routine or work load."

    I think I've been in a rut with my rehab. I do have some weights to use. I'll try to include those in workout. Pushing oneself and not becoming complacent is a real challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes mixing things up can give a spark back into your exercise and training motivation. And for me having that date out there where I am going to do something or have something required of me that is going to cost me physically if I don't prepare in advance -- that can be motivating too. :-)
    I'd like to hear how you encorporated the weights into your routine.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .