Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 5: what a day!


[Photos: not in time order
- the sign out front "Church on the Rock - where Jesus is Lord"; this is our home for the evening.
- one of the large bridges that we rode over today towards the tail end of our riding.
-there were some carriages in one of the towns that we drove through (it was very neat and made me miss my wife wishing we were together and had the time to do the touristy thing there)
-a photo of me in the van (to appease those who say I'm never in my photos)
-a photo of me as we take the fairy
-a photo of Jon (Used with his permission) at the hospital
- two photos of the sun and clouds this morning as it was very beautiful with beams of light coming through the clouds
- lastly: how many people does it take to change a flat?
]



Today has been a Very emotional day. The road we were on this morning at the beginning was the worst road due to safety of the whole trip. The traffic was heavy and unfortunately many of the drivers were rude via verbal remarks, hand gestures or by just driving with in an arms length at three times our speed. It was a little tense.

We hadn't been going to long before Ben had a rear flat. That's not to big of a deal - so it was fixed and we were back going. Not to much later was when we had the accident. We had just gone through an intersection and got tangled up together on the other side due to traffic conditions. That's where Jon went down. This was a busy intersection so with in 4 minutes there was a police car and fire rescue vehicles on the scene. We helped Jon to the side of the road as he was in the lane. (Rather than give a blow by blow recount, I'll say that the rescue squad was very kind and professional and did their jobs while still allowing us to be close to and communicate with Jon - that was very nice.)


After the accident, the SAG went to the hospital and the riders eventually got there too. We were all able to visit with and pray and worked on what should happen next. Those were some emotional times as we as riders talked and prayed about what had happened and feelings of guilt or responsibility for the accident. This could be a longer process, but we started it right away.

It was eventually decided that it was OK and time for us to continue on. So we put all the gear in the van and trailer and SAG'd 50 miles to a point where we could ride and still get to our evening host on time.


There were no new incidents for the riders and we arrived to our destination with out seeing the SAG for the last 15 miles or so. As it turns out they had a mechanical failure and we working their own issues. Some from the church went and retrieved them from the Ford dealer after dropping off the van to have it checked out in the morning (serious transmission problems).

So, we will just have to see what tomorrow holds. Today had enough troubles of it's own!

We did have a great time with our hosts thought! It was very much a blessing.


As has become the norm - everyone else is in bed and I'm up trying to keep all you informed. That's not a complaint as I very much do appreciate the support and prayers that are going up before God today and in the past.

As for the exercise --- today wasn't about that. I think it was 56 miles of riding today. It's looking like tomorrow could even be less as we can not travel with out a vehicle to support us. We'll see what rentals are available in the morning and just see what comes of it... It's important that we be in Orlando by 3 PM if at all possible as there is a center wide event / activity that we are to be a part of. That's all I know.


As for the nutrition: it was a little out the window this evening. I know better, but had a few servings of dessert. It was tasty, but I also am learning that it is a replacement for GOD. When I want a quick fix to feel better - get the food. What it should be is seek God and wait for His provision. I'm learning this in my head but still struggling to live it in my choices...

When I woke up this morning my O2 and HR were 96 and 45 respectively. That was encouraging and helps me think that I'm doing OK. I'm sure I'd be doing better with more sleep, but I am waking up during the night and not sleeping the night through. I do have my pillow that and that is a help. I've never packed my pillow before, but am glad I did this time. :-)


I had several other thoughts during the day, but don't remember them now. I did bring my digital recorder but have not put it on me when riding. It was a great idea and I brought it, but didn't do it. Not sure why...

Signing off ... Day 5 of 6 has come to an end.

3 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear how rough a day you guys had. Jon looks like he being well taken care of. All things includes accidents, injuries and disappointments (Rom 8:28). Keep giving your best brother - and may the Father refill you all with His love, grace, and forgiveness for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s fast becoming a morning ritual, reading your blog when I come into work. My thoughts and morning pray is with you as you trek on, accomplishing amazing mile after mile. Love the pics! -aaron

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .