Friday, May 8, 2009

Th: Joining my Bike in another state


Today was a packing and travel day; after a few hours at the office making sure things were as good as could be for leaving for 6 work days.

I was back home by about 11 AM. The bed became my working space/staging area where I gathered everything on my list and put them in like groups. It took quite a while to gather all the stuff. (I’ve learned that I tend to over pack – even knowing that I still over pack, but just not on purpose.) My bike and most of the stuff that goes on it were already gone, but I still had much other bike gear and electronics, clothing, casual clothing, batteries, spares, various types of food (two cans of tuna – just in case, protein powder, shaker container, crushed almond, flax seed and another grain, some power bars just in case), bike shoes, casual church shoes, casual shoes, … pillow. (This is the first time I’ve ever packed my pillow, but I must be getting older as I thought when I read it on the suggested list – “I think I will bring my own pillow-that may help me sleep better.”

As it turned out, even with my wife’s help, it was ~45 minutes later than I wanted to be leaving for the airport. My wife helped in many ways: got Subway for lunch, got the suitcases, washed my bike shorts and other gear, crushed the nuts and grains in the juicer, got the bigger suit case, packed my bathroom bag, … very helpful.

I was able to get a ride with the other local rider to the airport. He was traveling light, and I was HEAVY. (I even have a tag on my bag in orange saying HEAVY.) My bag was actually 5 lbs over and was going to cost me an extra $50, so I was able to give some of my stuff to my buddy and put the rest in my computer bag. I’m not sure how it got so heavy – but it is.

I am now in Waxhaw and have met two of the other riders - three others that I still haven’t met. Friday I’m heading to the where house at 8 am to put my bike back together and we’re supposed to have a group ride at 10. A couple others will also be putting their bikes back together as they had to ship theirs also. Friday is a day of finial preparations.

As I reflect ... I'm a bit nervous of the task that lies ahead. I've only ridden my bike 100 miles one time. Saturday will begin a journey that I have little understanding of what will be required of me to finish it: I think it will be more than I can imagine. I'm familiar with "Barn Fever" on my bike - and often experience it when I get back to with in 5 miles of my home when riding. How to handle it after 80 miles on a day that is scheduled for 116 miles: I have no idea?! It will certainly be fun...but it will also require much from me, and that is the part that makes me nervous. I fully expect to come home a changed person in some way by all that this trip is going to be.

[There were some neat shots on the airplane today. The clouds at one point rising out of the others, and then the sunset on the ground in the plane in Waxhaw, NC.]

5 comments:

  1. Go Dan! I am praying for you. You're a true genuine inspiration and keep us all informed as much as you can!!!

    -aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got this old man!!! :D
    im praying for you as well and i know you can do it! someday hopefully i can ride 100 miles..just once! hahah :)
    youll do grrreat!

    GRACIE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for you Daddy! You'll be in my thoughts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your packing discription sounds very similular to how you pack a burrito.
    it's warehouse not wherehouse. I guess if you don't know where it is then it would be wherehouse.
    awsome pictures.

    Your loving wife

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .