Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Getting back on track

Today was kind of stressful, but still a good day in most respects.

I was able to start the day with a run first thing this morning: I was out of the house by ~6:15. It was cool and quiet (other than the animals). I have a 5 mi route that I like which is kind of my preferred minimum run and it gets me back in time to see my first kid out the door for school. There are times when I like to exercise with out any electronics involved: not HRM, no GPS, no monitoring of performance or comparing of times..and that's what I did this morning. I felt free...

I haven't added back the weights yet, but do plan on starting them up again as they are an important part in overall fitness and helping the body be balanced with the running and cycling. I'm not real motivated yet - but need to start anyways.

Nutrition was fine today (I finally finished the ice cream at lunch so that distraction is gone - yea). Above is a photo of the pre-smoothie ingredients, but I forgot to photograph the beet and sweet potato. Lunch was left over lasagna and dinner was stir fry.

A highlight for today was leading the first of two discussions in out youth group meeting on the subject of Health and Nutrition. Tonight we mostly talked about scriptures of putting God first, seeking him (Ps 73, Pr 3), freedom, use of our freedom, desiring not to increase in knowledge but in obedience (James 1 my favorite chapter) and others as well. It was a good discussion and interactions. Next week will be more focused on health issues: nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress, etc. There will be juicers, smoothies, examples of salt and fat in common foods, it should be a very hands on lesson. Again: not just for fun, but with the hope that God will be in it and encourage people to act on what they know - any less is sin. [It's kind of hard to say that, but I think we've become so comfortable with a little bit of sin for a little bit of time that we aren't seeing it for what it is. That scripture is pretty clear, if we know what we ought to do and don't do it - we sin.] It was great to have Lynne present and helping as she has great experience with nutrition and health issues.

If you'd like a food log or have any questions, please ask. I'd much rather have interactions here than be producing a 'news paper'

2 comments:

  1. Do you drink all that stuff pictured at one time for breakfast? - DoubleA

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I spread it out over the mid morning hours. The amount pictured there will fill a 32 oz jar (which I'll take with me to work) and there will be enough left over for my wife to have some and I'll have a small sample too. That's quite a bit sense it's in the VitaMix - you're getting the whole thing. I will still have oatmeal for breakfast first though. (I'm usually hungry in the morning, and it's usually after some exercise, so I eat pretty good ... :-)

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .