Saturday, August 8, 2009

Energy gel experimentation

Saturday morning: a beautiful clear day with a building South wind - pretty much a normal day.

The distance goal was 50+ miles and as I pulled in just under 3 hrs later it was 50.7 miles. I've got to build back up to some longer weeks and rides over the upcoming weeks. Next Sat I'm thinking 3 1/2 hrs or 60 miles (if it's as windy as it was today). I was hoping for an avg speed of 18, but it was 17.2. My avHR was 138 (on the low side) and the max was 178 (on the bridge in my normal time trial place: 34.2 mph avg for .53 mi).

The 'FUN' parts of the ride for me today were mostly at times above 25 mph:
- on the service road with the wind to my back: 3.3 miles with an avg speed of 27.4 and max of 37.1
- the down hills of Valley View except where I had to slow down for the cars that were in front of me and going slower than I was wanting to go (40)
- the .53 miles of the normal Time Trial over the bridge where the avg was 34.2

The other goal / purpose for today's ride was to continue experimenting with eating on the bike. I left with 1  Lemon Sublime GU, 1 Clif Shot Bloks (6 pieces) and my Camel bak topped off with ice and 70 ozs of filtered water. The GU is a single serve and they recommend using one every 45 minutes. The Bloks are recommended to use 1 every 20 minutes. I also took a Clif Bar but didn't use it (as my ride time increases I will use portions of the Clif Bar too). What I did today was:
- 6:30 bm
- 6:40 glass of soy milk with protein powder and a little olive oil, followed by a glass of water and my morning vitemens and supliments
- 7:40 bm
- approximately 8 I left on my ride
- I ate the GU (Lemon Sublime - Yummy) at 62 minutes into the ride (right after Tx Plume)
- I then at a Blok chew 34 minutes later
- 30 minutes later I had another Blok
- 30 minutes later I had my 3rd Blok

When I got home I was tired, but not worn out. I had a little bit left in my Camel Bak and finished that first. About 15 minutes later I ate about 2/3 rds of my Clif Bar. I was then able to work out back in the sun for almost 2 hrs. I drank more ice water but really felt OK. This is much different from the last formal ride that I did when I came home and had to lay on the floor for over an hour to feel better. I'm thinking the energy foods are working.  Now if I could just improve the quality of my training I may have a chance at a sub 5 hr century .. maybe. 

For future rides that are longer I would likely eat half a Clif Bar at the next 30 minute mark and then repeat back through the cycle of GU and Chews. I'd also like to add another cheap stopwatch as it's hard to keep track of the times between the various foods. The experimentation will continue.

It was good to get a ~ 3 hr ride in and it was nice to be ready to get off the bike but not be so exhausted that I was worthless for the rest of the day. I saw many cyclists out, but none riding at the same time and direction as myself. 

[PHOTOS: the strong wind as seen in the concrete plant residue, Lemon Sublime GU, a partial shot looking down "the Wall" on Valley View]

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .