Monday, August 3, 2009

Sat: Ride and Rain

I was concerned with the rain we had Friday night that Sat would be a rain out - but instead it was nice in the morning, even sunny. Dave was over a little early and I was running a little late, so we started out just after 7:30 AM.

Saturdays ride was to be different from the start for two reasons: I was riding with someone (more emphasis on relationship than just training) and I was trying some new foods along the way. The route is tried and true and we saw several other pairs of cyclists on the road as well as individuals too. The wind was in our faces on the out leg which is mostly Southward, but that means the wind will be to our backs on the return trip which was nice to look forward to.

About 45 minutes into the trip I used my 'GU' packet. It was 'Plain' flavored and seemed to have a fair bit in it. I stopped to open it and eat it and it's going to take some more practice to be able to open it and eat it on the go - but that is my goal. Forty minutes later I opened my CLIF Shot Bloks and had one as we turned and started heading N with the wind not as much to our backs as we were expecting and the sky getting darker by the minute. We decided to try to shorten the route and take the most direct back but still didn't make it before the rain came down. We had about 3/4 mile in the rain before we got to an over pass and called for a SAG pickup. My wife was Great about it.

So, we didn't get in the distance and time to really see how the energy foods helped, but I'm thinking they did and am going to try to open my Clif Shot energy gel during the hard Tuesday night ride, as well as finishing my 'Blocks' too. We rode for just under 2 hours, for 32 miles, 16.6 avg (mostly into the wind). We did get to visit some though and that was good.

It would take a different mind set to actually ride in the rain. I guess I'm a little nervous with the roads wet when it comes to safety, as well as the reduced visibility and my brakes were barely working. For now I continue to be a fair weathered rider when it comes to rain: I'll pull over and wait it out or call for a pick up.

One nice thing about finishing early was going to Home Depot for the Kids Workshop with my wife and younger two. The first Sat of the month. We've been doing these for many years now (not every month but it's always on the radar.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .