Sunday, August 30, 2009

Four day (brief) report

Last week was difficult to make the extra time to blog the training .. so I'll do it briefly here.

Wed was a 3 3/4 mile run during lunch. It was hot and I cut my 5 mile route short. It wasn't a good experience. My average was just under 9 min/mi with an AHR of 144 and MHR of 158. 

Thursday was 60 minutes on the trainer: 45 minutes at ~18 mph and 15 minutes of intervals. It also wasn't a very hard work out as my HR didn't go over 153. 

Friday was too full - and had no formal exercise. My bike had been making a clicking sound, so I spent some time cleaning and after cleaning and putting the pedals back on - the noise was GONE!! Cool! It's so nice to ride a quiet bike.

Sat was my long ride. I didn't try for 20 mph avg but instead was aiming for 18 and ended up with 17.6. I was wanting 70+ miles or 4 hrs and ended up with 70.6 miles 4:00:22. It was a nice morning with the breeze from the NE. Most of the ride was un-eventful, with the exception of a portion where I saw a rider in my mirror. I don't know why I have such a strong desire to NOT be passed. I hadn't seen anyone and then there was someone 1/8 mile or less back. This happened 2 1/2 hrs into the ride, but I still ended up putting a little more into each stroke until I saw the rider loose ground. This continued for about 6 miles and when I headed back I never saw the rider again. Nutrition on the ride was Clif Shot Chews, GU and part of a Clif bar. I still had (warm) water left when I got home (started with ~ 70 oz).

Sun I decided to go for a run first thing in the morning. Not a part of my normal routine, but I do want to get to a place where running isn't so difficult again. Today's run was 3 miles and just under 7:30 mi/min. The AHR was 150 and the MHR was 170. I like these numbers better - as they are more in line with where they should be if I were training properly / harder / in agreement with my HR.  

Tomorrow (Mon) I have a commitment in the AM - sharing about the May ride: ~20 minutes, 49 power point slides (7 sevens), 5+ topics, Q&A, ... it's going to be fun!  :-)
So the training will be during lunch: yep, you guessed it, intervals at the dam. I'm aiming for 30 seconds of 'sprint for your life' effort and 70 seconds of rest. All managed by my emotionally detached Garmin device. Should be tough - if I don't wimp out or do'em to easy.

My nutritional week spots have been ice cream and chips: not together, but I've had both today ... more than once. Not good. I guess with the increase in stress and decrease in training I tend to bulge in pleasure and nervous foods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .