Thursday, August 20, 2009

Short duration intervals

I'll try to be brief: I've been told that most aren't as interested in HR info and etc as I am. 

Today I did 15 second maximum effort sprints followed by 60 seconds of recovery. Across the dam and back I did 19 of these.  The HR didn't get real high, due to the short effort, but it was still good to get the full effort for 15 seconds: long enough to get up to speed out of the saddle and sit down and think of smooth circles before the 5 seconds of beeps started to signal the end of the interval. 

One the other end (before the hard part of each interval) there were 5 seconds of warning before the next one started. It was good to have to do it when the timer said instead of deciding myself. I used the thought of a dog chasing me to give motivation for 100% effort - and that was a good motivator.

After that I did 2 miles of 100+ cadence followed by 2 miles of 105+ cadence. I wanted to shift into a higher gear and go faster at a lower cadence - but that is tomorrows drill. Today it was short intervals and high cadence.

The plan for tomorrow is 2 trips across the dam and back (~16 mi) maintaining a 20 mph avg. The wind will most likely be in my face one way and partially to my back the other. So it should be a good work out.

I had my back wheel in the bike shop today as the free hub has a wobble. Turns out it was tight so it will have to be replaced (part of it at least). That should happen this weekend. I've been appreciating the help and enjoying the new friendships at my local bike store (B&B Bicycles). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .