Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wed-Th (run,bike)

I've been taking Wed off as I have the long ride Tuesday night, but this week I decided to go for a run instead. 

Runs take less preparation and are usually shorter in duration. And with the thoughts of a Winter marathon (it would be my first) after the Sept century, I should start adding some runs in. My normal run route through my neighborhood is just under 5 miles (4.7 according to my Garmin). The run took 41 minutes which is an 8:43 avg pace ... not much to write home about (157 mxHR and 141 avHR).

With all the training on my road bike this year, it seems like my body has transitioned from running to cycling centered:
- the run took at least 10 minutes to get into a rhythm
- it was difficult to get my heart rate up 
- I didn't enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying it in the past
- my thighs ached and were tender for the following 3 days

With a short run like this I didn't take any water with, but probably will next time as I've gotten used to drinking and think that will help - even for short distances like this.

Th was a bike, but with tender legs it wasn't as hard as I had planned before leaving. It was just a trip out to the dam, across and then back home: 14.8 miles, 50 minutes, 17.6 avg speed, 167 mxHR and 140 avHR.

The goal was to ride for sustained effort (something that is difficult for me). So, across the dam for 3.94 miles, 9:38, 24.5 avg speed, 167 mxHR, 153 avHR. That was good. Anytime I break 10 minutes I know I'm working - even if there was a tail wind - for me I'm still working to push for that extended time. Now, the trip back - into the wind, was a modest 16.3 mph and took 14:39 - 5 minutes longer.

O well - such is life --- balance is more important; and to many my balance is still out of balance for them...? It was good to get out and even better to get back!

Nutrition: it's been to long and I don't have record, but I had people over for lunch here at the house 4 times - so I'm sure it was good!  :-)  I am back to a place where my sweat isn't stinking again - that's nice! I have been hungry a lot so controlling my appetite can be a challenge. My weight is up a few lbs, but I'm not worrying much about that right now. (Even with Blue Bell ice cream on sale - I've not bought any as I know I will over eat once it's in the house... got to say no at the store on that one.)

Friday was a rest day - still trying to shake the tender legs before Saturdays ride: which should be 50+ miles and more experimenting with energy gels, hydration and ride nutrition...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .