Monday, August 24, 2009

Sat - No excuses...

[Photos: one of my favorite roads: narrow with turn-abouts, trees and few cars; the view coming down TX Plume.]

Wow, it was a nice morning: cool (69) and very light breeze. Two big challenges removed for the ride today.

I've yet to have a training ride of 50+ miles avg 20 miles an hour. That was my goal for today. It was close for the first 2 hrs at just over 19, but once I turned around and headed north the wind had started and I just couldn't sustain the effort. I ended up riding 60.4 miles with an avg of 18.2 mph, AHR 141 and MHR 177.

It was actually a little discouraging and I'm not sure what to do about it yet. For now I'll continue to train, but it may be that I just don't have the time to train at the levels required to attain the goal that I've got before myself. If that's the case, I'll have to change my goal of doing a 5 hr century this year.

The kids are off to their first day of school now. Time to air up the tires and head to the dam for some intervals - yippee!!! (Just kidding.) Yes I like to have done them, but actually doing them isn't usually very fun. Today should be the 30 seconds of effort and I think I'm going to give myself 75 seconds of recovery today and see how that goes. I'll use the timer again so It pushes me.

If any one has any encouragement on how to attaining the sub 5 hr century or to persevere in the training - please feel free. Training alone has it's challenges...



No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .