Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tu - fast hill group ride

I had a meeting last Tuesday, so it was nice to get to ride with the group this Tuesday evening.

It was a smaller group (around 10) and the ride dynamics were very similar to other rides: ride as a group to Lake Ridge and then pick up the pace until TX Plume, then pick up the pace again etc .... By the second time up TX Plume the group has broken into subgroups. There were about 5 of us in the front group, one of them being a rider that I often see in the front group. It was nice to be able to chat a little with him this time and get his name (Arthur). I guess the smaller group made interactions easier, so I was able to talk with another cyclist on the warm up leg. It was nice this week that in addition to the hard work out - there was some time used to get to know two of the other cyclists. That was neat!

Some of the HR info: Max was 182 on the bridge coming back. But I quickly stopped pedaling as I heard a noise that sounded like something fell off my bike. I looked and checked but nothing was missing and everything seemed to be working. But that stopped my HR from going further. In the hills I had a max HR of 180, going from 130 to 180 in about 3 1/2 minutes and then back down to 117 in about 2 1/4 minutes. (The recovery HR info is good to capture and check periodically as it is another measure of fitness.

On the trip after Lake Ridge there were 4 or 5 of us riding together: this is about 4 miles out from the starting point. We were all moving at a good clip 23-24 with people up front changing. So I pulled out and took off, expecting either some followers or the group as a whole to reel me back in shortly. About 20 seconds later Arthur came flying past and I jump on his back wheel. By this time we were going in the low 30's - I told him he was too strong and I was going to hold on as long as I could, but thankfully he dropped it back down a little and Enoch joined us and the 3 of us took turns that last 3+ miles. Over the 3.22 miles we averaged 24.8 with a max of 31.8: 167 AHR and 178 MHR.

It was a neat ride. I used another Strawberry-banana GU and one Clif Shot Chew during the ride. I didn't drink all my water. And the last ~7 miles after the end of the group ride was slow. 

There is good progress / improvement being made. Things I'm noticing is that I am recovering more quickly, which allows me to do more active recovery (work at a reduced HR but still work). The short steep hills are still killer, but I attacked them on this ride and that was much better than just riding up them: they are hard either way - so it makes sense to do it quickly and get it over with. I'm finding that I like to sit up and hold my bars on top about 4 inches from my stem when working up the hills: I can breath better and is more comfortable. Arthur came flying past me on a down hill so I was able to talk to him about that and try to learn some drafting / aerodynamic tips. I continue to learn.

Today is Wed - resting day. Had a yummy tuna sandwich on toasted raisin cinnamon bread ... mmmmmm! I got bit on my hamstring going across the dam. I don't know what it was (probably a bee), but it hurt much for about 2 minutes. And has itched and been all red since.

Tomorrow will be short duration intervals : 15 seconds at 100% followed by 60 seconds recovery. I'm planning on 8 miles of these and then 8 miles of spinning (lighter work higher reps 105+). If after 4 miles the duration is too short I'll adjust for the last 4 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .