Sunday, October 4, 2009

My first swim meet

Saturday was my oldest son's first swim meet - he started swimming this fall. He already knew how to swim for survival and function, but is now learning to swim for performance .. a different swimming indeed: something I've yet to become competent in.

One of the things I saw yesterday during the meet left a memory that is worth sharing. This was a high school event and after getting used to the 'loudness' of being in the enclosed space with sooo many youth, adults and a few very loud whistles I noticed that it was a friendly environment. The swimmers were cheering and rooting as were parents and observers: it was a very positive environment.

One of the youth had a physical problem - I don't know what it was. He was swimming the 50 meter freestyle - which was out and back in this 25 m pool. He was about 2/3 rds finished (with his out leg) when the others were done. By the time he started his return leg all the eyes were on him. His school team mates were at the pools edge yelling and cheering and clapping sounds of encouragement, as were the other teams. About half way back I started videoing as it was intense how loud it was in there. As I was videoing I almost wanted to jump in and rescue him as his 'swimming' looked almost like he was drowning. When he finally made it to the finish - the whole place went crazy! It was a pretty emotional event. [You can see a short video of him as he finishes and hear the roar.]

Another impression that I had was it reminded me of my experiences 'watching' my friends compete in triathlons. It's always amazing to see the different people that participate in them: some look as you would expect, but most don't; and some you can't believe they're out there doing it while you just watch! So it was here. There were some swimmers there that were clearly skilled in their starts, turns, stroke and strategy. But there were others who came with big hearts and gave their best. I only remember seeing one person get out of the pool before they finished. The saying about judging a book by it's cover sure does hit home with life events that require heart. I watched a lot of 'heart' yesterday - it was great. 

I've been to my kids softball games, soccer games, basketball games, track meets, cross country, and now my first swim meet. It was nice to not hear a single complaint by a parent about a bad call; no dirty playing; no noticeable abuse: verbal or physical. It was very nice. 

My son didn't place - but he did his best and had a great experience. He did the 50 m freestyle, 100 meter freestyle and 200 m freestyle relay. He was first in his individual heats and the relay team came in second. Everyone was pretty pleased. I was proud of him not only for his performance, but that he too swam with heart, even if he does have the disadvantage of looking like a swimmer.

[Photo: my son's events, heat and lane: clearly written in his own pen! A frame from the video of the swimmer that everyone was cheering for.]

2 comments:

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .