Friday, October 23, 2009

Running naked...?

[No action photos for this one ..., but instead today's sunrise and my granddaughter at the table eating Cheerios and playing with a puzzle at the table - how cool is that!]


For me, to run with out my electronics (HRM & GPS) and to not capture data - is to run 'naked'. Of course I would not run in public with out clothes...


This run took place Thursday evening (during my ‘dinner break’). It was a bit windy and cool, but it was great to get out after being in meetings for the last two days. The sunset was spectacular as the low clouds went through many colors of the rainbow. Even with out my Garmin, I found myself attempting to press the lap button at my normal places. That show’s how good it is for me to run ‘naked’ and unhindered. This is something I’m trying to do on one of my weekly runs. (I have different purposes for training runs through out the week (long run, intervals, recovery, faster paced, … and now 'naked').


On these runs where I’m less hindered or distracted with my normal ‘training’, I have enjoyed and been challenged by some of thoughts that occur. During this ‘free thought time’ in Thursday’s run, on of the thoughts that came to mind was: What if I die tomorrow? (I didn’t think to long about it, probably in part because it’s something that has popped up before for me. It was just around 5 years ago that I heard a heart Dr tell me that I may not live to see 40; that will get you thinking…)


So, I reflected on how I’m still very much alive, and am Glad for that! I thought about my family and work; how I am able to have my family as a priority over my career. Something that is difficult at times, but it really is what I want: I don't want regrets in this area. I also thought about being with God for eternity. That was a thought I could only ponder briefly as it quickly overwhelms my mind: what will it be like to be before God ... ?!


If you haven’t had that thought before - It's a good check. I don’t think of it as a morbid thing, but rather an opportunity to evaluate where I’m really at, and then to consider if that’s where I really want to be. If so, great; if not, make changes.


A life of training for me is one that is aiming to improve: not just in performance, but in character, quality, depth and value. Maybe you should try running 'naked' (but clothed) and see what you think about. :-)


1 comment:

  1. So you say you don't run naked in public, so where does one run naked in private?
    So this is what you do when I'm not home.
    SAG

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .