Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday

Today was a another full day: exercise, work, LBS with saddle issues, meeting and softball.

Exercise: 
I awoke a little after 3 and enjoyed that state of half conscious and half sleeping until almost 4 when I decided to go ahead and get up. I had another tester saddle to try out so I was looking forward to getting that on and riding for a bit. (The night before I ran around looking for some parts to make the clamp on my seatpost work for this saddle with larger diameter rails, but was unsuccessful.) So this morning I was going to put it on my MTB seatpost, but as it turned out that didn't work either, so I was back on my old saddle. I rode for 2 hrs and 27 minutes - no big events. I did eat two power bars during the ride, mostly because I was on empty from the water the day before.

There was also a softball game. We were run ruled after 4 innings. It's kind of a disappointing way to loose a game - the other team is so far ahead that they call the game over. Softball for me often includes large portions of 'humble pie' and tonight was no exception: I didn't bat well, I made a running mistake for the 3rd out, I didn't catch the ball and I didn't make good throws. Rough night; but I'll still return next Friday for more pie...  

Nutrition: 
I had the two power bars while riding my bike on the trainer and then fixed oatmeal for my wife and I (millet, oatmeal, flaxseed, olive oil, craisins and then almond powder and blue berries with natural maple syrup for sweetening and a little soy milk too). I also made a smoothie (apple, banana, carrots, spinach, sweet potato, yogurt, whey protein powder, soy milk, ice)  that I shared and put some in the freezer for after lunch (salad: spinach, tuna, carrot, onion, garlic, jalapeno, carrot, sweet potato, peanut, mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ginger, cayenne pepper and black pepper). Dinner was a good stir fry: chicken, basmati rice and vegetables.

Saddle:
I was able to get a test saddle from my LBS, but I couldn't get it to fit on any of the seatposts that I have as the rails are larger. After going in to my LBS and telling them of my problem, they sent me hope with a tester seatpost that fits the saddle and my bike tube. Very Nice! So tomorrow I'm hoping to get a little time to mount it and ride briefly. No long rides tomorrow as I run the home in my wife's absence and a full schedule of kids events.

6 Day Ride:
The big ride is now 5 weeks away. I bought my airline tickets today...kind of scary. I'll ship my bike via FedEx...also a bit scary. With only 5 weeks remaining, I'm a little nervous as my longest ride this year has been 60 miles - and I was spent and ready to stop at the end of it. I also have a few loose ends with my equipment (my road shoes are too big, my 10 year old helmet and still looking for a saddle). I'd like to resolve this things so I can have some time with what I plan to use on the ride. 

I also need to get in some more time outdoors now. It's been good to be able to ride on the trainer, but I need to start logging some miles on the road with the wind, hills and the rest. I hope to ride 6 days a week for the next 2 weeks. I also haven't done any weights for two weeks and want to add at least two weight routines each week back into the pot. I have some ideas about switching from early morning training to going into the office and then taking a 3+ hr lunch to facilitate a 50 mile ride. I'll just have to see how it all works out.

Concluding Thought:
So what are you doing to stay healthy and fit? Or what are you doing to not be healthy and fit? If you have something immediately pop into your mind-share it. Often just sharing it is one of the first steps to taking action on it. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .