Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wed: The routine of life

Today was much like yesterday, and the day before, and several days last week. The extra training and preparation for this 6 Day ride / Missions trip is taking a toll on many things in my life: sleep, aches, tender back side, getting behind on many things. It's like I've added a big rock to an already full life and I'm loosing a lot of water because of it. Unfortunately, it's crunch time and I think I need to keep it a priority, so other things continue to get bumped.

When I first walked out the front door this morning, after noticing the wind (more on that in my ride notes) I saw the moon and that is was very close to a star (I don't know which one though- which one is it HH?). I looked at it and knew that I'd be disappointed if I didn't go take a picture, so I went back in the house and got my camera and tripod. Experience has taught me that time exposure photos really are worth the time to use the tripod and the setting that takes a few shots back to back so that the camera is stable and not moving from me pushing the button. [So, that's the shot for today.]

My work time today was very productive. I should have a required tool ready tomorrow for a colleague to use. It's a nice implementation and fully functional - not a bad job if I have to say so my self. Many in my office are uncomfortable with multi-threaded development, but I find that even my 2 day tools have it and benefit from it: work being done independently, asynchronous updates to different portions of the user interface, ability to do several things at once, snappy response to user input ... the way software development should be. It's been nice to do some technical work again.

I had a dentist appointment this morning - the last one for a bit I hope. I had a temporary put in about 5 weeks ago and this was removing most of the temporary and previous filling and putting in a composite. My last three filling have all been composite in stead of the silver ones that still fill my mouth (full of sweet teeth). This is a health based decision for me: I've decided that those silver fillings are indeed a health risk to me and am not planning on adding any new ones, and will replace the old ones when given the opportunity or need.

Rather than make my lunch this morning, I fixed an egg sandwich (breakfast) instead. So, I enjoyed my breakfast, but didn't have lunch until I came home around 2 PM today. I ate a tuna sandwich on rye with onion, spinach, mustard, spices and olive oil. It was yummy!

I was out the door just before 3 for my ride. Had I listened to my body, I would have skipped today. But I tend to be a little to driven at times and it's difficult for me to skip out on a training session. Especially when these are the "Last Chance" workout weeks. Next week I should start cutting back my distance and add some higher intensity workouts instead - part of the trimming down and preparing for the ride.

Today my legs were still a little sore and tired, and then there was the wind! It was from the South and strong. This means that the route out would be tough and the return should be fast. And it was: the route out found me struggling to do double digits at times with the wind being such a good deterrent. I decided to fill my bottle full of ice today since yesterday it was warm. I also took a third bottle of ice in my backpack. Unfortunately it was still not enough. With about 10 miles left I was skimping on the water to try to make it last. I was out well before my ride was over, and my route has two hills at the end. Those were tough with out getting a little water refreshment after doing them. I guess tomorrow I'll have to take 4 bottles (2 in my backpack), or look into getting a Camelbak. (I have a waist unit from them and have been VERY pleased with their customer support and backing of their product. I had a bag fail and they replaced it - no Grief.) So I'll have no problem buying another product from them if that's the route I go.

When I finally got home from the ride: I took off my helmet, shoes and backpack and just layed down in the shade on the grass in the front yard. I was SO glad to be home. My bathroom scale said I was 6 lbs lighter on my return. That's not good - I need to have more fluids. My HR numbers were 140 avg and 177 max. The avg mph was 16.8. It was a rough ride into a mostly head on strong warm wind.

If you are still reading this: Wow...thanks. I thought I was the only one who reads the whole postings. Actually, there are a few of you beside me that read these (Thanks for the encouragement for being interested in what's going on with me).

I'll close with a passage that I read again last night. It was already underlined. It's good food for thought. Deuteronomy 9:4-6 
After the Lord your God has driven them out before you, do not say to yourself, “The Lord has brought me here to take possession of this land because of my righteousness.” No, it is on account of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is going to drive them out before you.  It is not because of your righteousness or your integrity that you are going in to take possession of their land; but on account of the wickedness of these nations, the Lord your God will drive them out before you, to accomplish what he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  Understand, then, that it is not because of your righteousness that the Lord your God is giving you this good land to possess, for you are a stiff-necked people. (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. you know you could just get a camelback insurt for the pack you are currently using. SAG

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .