Monday, April 20, 2009

Mon: Echo in the AM - pursuit in the PM

I was on the road early today. I had to head towards downtown with the normal commute traffic. Not being sure of the traffic, and having an Echo appointment at 8 AM, I needed to be early not late: so I left by 6:30 and got there early enough to read for a bit before my appointment.  

[The moon shot was on my way to my car and the sunrise was in route (not recommended: taking photos while driving, but I've been doing it for years...)]

I've seen the same person to perform the Echo procedure since the summer of 2005: 6 or 7 Echos now. It had been 20 months since my last one. I don't have the results from today's procedure yet; I'll get that when I see my Heart Dr later this month. Even though we have a friendship now for the last 4 years, there are also some rules in place stating that they aren't allowed to give any information that can be interpreted as 'diagnosing'. I think everything went fine (and I feel good). It's always neat to hear the valves and thumping, and to see the pictures of all the different parts of the heart and surrounding arteries. Plus I get to 'rib' the person doing the procedure about their 'desire' to exercise and the actual lack of exercise that is done...much like I enjoy doing to most everybody I know it that situation. If you don't want me to nag you about exercise - then don't bring it up. It was a good visit with my Echo technician.

Then later in the afternoon I went for my ride. It was my new 'staple' ride: the 46 mile loop from my house South a couple of towns. There was a little wind doing what it so amazingly does: being a headwind both ways!? 

On the return leg, before starting on the road that goes over the fingers of the lake I stopped for a minute or two to finish my snack and was passed by a guy on a bike. HEY...What's this?? I got a quick pump of adrenaline followed by the thought: "Now I've got someone to chase down. Cool!" So I quickly put my stuff away and started pursuit. A mile or so later I pulled up along him and started talking. We talked for around 5 minutes: I introduced myself and got his name, Shay (I'm trying to work on remembering peoples names), and then said I was going to pick up the pace a little bit. It was nice to interact a little and hopefully I'll see him again and remember his name.  :-)  It's funny how seeing another biker can provide the extra ump to push a little harder: it's great for training, and if you are social, it's good for relationships too.

The numbers: 46.2 miles, 2:27 time, 18.7 mph avg, HR 137 avg & 179 Max. I think I had two recent PR's: Mtn Creek hill 2:12 and TX Plume hill 5:00. With the head wind my bridge TT was 1:07 - 26.7 avg. It was a good ride today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .