Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sat:Trainer and Road time...

My bike was still in/on the trainer from Friday, so with the wet roads this morning and sprinkles that were on and off in the AM hours, I rode on the trainer for 1:45. It was a bit disappointing as I was hoping to put in a long day on the road.

A few hours later and the afternoon was starting to look like it maybe safe and nice for a ride. So a little after 5 PM I was able to head out for a ride. Not sure at the start of what I was going to do, but figured I'd decide as various points came up. I wasn't sure of the distance, but decided I'd try to ride harder--especially if I would be racing against the sun. At about 10 miles in I decided to try to keep my HR up into the 150's or better. My recent rides are averaging in the mid to high 130's, so this was a reasonable target. Even with a slight S wind I was making good time at my possible turn around points on the route-so I ended up doing the regular 46 mi loop in my quickest time of the week.

I have been riding more with my hands on the lower bars and I've also turned them down some. It feels different, but not as difficult or unnatural as it has in the past. And it is more efficient when I'm riding into the wind as I'm down lower and create less wind resistance.

On the return leg I stopped on the dam as the sun was close to setting and took a bunch of photos. A couple of them are included here. It was nice and very relaxing to watch the sunset
(it reminded me of how I often used to go to the beach when I was younger and watch the sunsets). From the point where I stopped on the dam, it is about 5 miles to my home. It was a little tough starting up again as it was now getting dark quickly and my legs were cool from the break (10+ minutes). I had brought a pair of clear glasses in my backpack to wear for just this purpose: to replace the darker one if I had to ride after the sun was down. My blinky lights are even more effective after dusk, so I wasn't too worried about not being seen. And the route is very familiar so I know where most of the big holes and bad spots in the road are - even though it was a little dark for seeing.

The numbers for the road ride are: 46.3 miles, 2:24 time, max 43.3 mph, avg 19.2 mph, max cadence 146, avg cadence 85, max HR 172, avg HR 145. This week I rode 6 day in a row-which was my goal for the week. The upcoming ride is 6 days in a row, so I wanted to have a taste of what that is like and wanted my body to know what it's like, even though the total time and mileage is less than it will be on the ride. This week I rode for ~16 hrs (12 1/2 on the road and 3 3/4 on the trainer); ~220 miles on the road and ~55 miles on the trainer.

Nutrition wise it was an OK day. I made pancakes (from scratch) for breakfast for my youngest after making and eating oatmeal with my wife earlier. For lunch I had a piece of left over cheese pizza (which I didn't enjoy during a portion of my road ride a few hours later). For dinner my wife made some rice and we added spices and vegetables and chicken ... MMMM mmmm. Then topped off with a couple servings of Strawberry Kiwi Sherbet. 

This next week, I'm not sure of the specific goals: many of the things to do are now not just training but logistical and supply related. I still need to get my letter out, I need to get a box for packing my bike and figure out when I will need to ship it for it to be there in time, buy some supplies (personal food items, spare tires, tubes, a second pair of riding shorts, ... there's a lot to do still). The training will probably be the 'easy' and more 'relaxing' part of next weeks preparation. I think I'd like to ride 6 days again (Lord willing) and aim for a long ride on Sat.

This blog sure has been quiet these last few weeks. I hope you are well and doing Good.  :-) 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dad : )

    I've got your blog on my bookmarks toolbar, I like hearing how you (and the family) are doing. Great pictures too! I didn't know about this bike ride you are going on until I read about it, that's really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! It's nice to get some comments to know what people are enjoying.
    I took your family photo (the one I printed out from Easter) and showed it to Hannah M., Sabrina also saw it...lots of good comments.
    I'm enjoying taking the photos too-glad you like them.
    You should go back and look for the lizard phots: those were downloaded the most. Search for "lizard" and you will find it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things you need to add to your buy list: I would bet that the helmet that you are currently wearing (old and second hand) wouldn't protect you very well at the speeds you are riding at. Since you will be riding 100 miles for 6 days don't you think a pair of shoe that fit would be a good investment? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .