Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Intervals: 10-30's

Monday evening (~6:30) I was able to head to the dam for some intervals. Earlier in the day it was a trip to the lake for swimming and shore fishing, a trip to Chick-fil-a in a sports jersey for our free Chicken sandwiches and various tasks around the house: it was already a full day..

I tried a different break down of 'On' and 'Off' this time: 10 seconds On with 30 seconds Off. They ended up being pretty intense efforts where most of them were out of the saddle sprints for the whole 10 seconds. My HR wouldn't peak until I was 5 or more seconds into the recovery time, so it make HR training at this intensity and brevity not possible. (Now if I had a power meter - that would give me real time measurable effort. They're pricey - but I haven't given up on getting one someday.) Before the end of 10 seconds my thighs were feeling weak and burning and it was difficult to stay up on them and pedal those last seconds. It is very nice that the Garmin beeps out the last 5 seconds of the On time and also gives 5 beeps for the last 5 seconds of Off time too. Due to the intensity level, I only did those one way across the dam - 14 of them back to back.

The return trip was 30-70's: 30 seconds On and 70 seconds Off. These were lower efforts, but I'm sure they still had some value. There were 7 of them performed.

The MHR during the intervals was 158; but 170 was seen on the warm up getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .