Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Are results guaranteed?

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like on of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own." - Mat 6: 28-34.

This morning was a run-swim time at the gym. I saw two people that I haven't seen for a while so I was able to briefly talk with them. (My family has lived in this community, the same town, for 16 years now and the same house for that last 13 yrs! That's amazing to me. I'm still getting used to recognizing people and seeing friends when I go to the grocery store.) So, back to the events at the gym. While running on the treadmill, it's up on the second deck so you can see below, and I tend to be a 'people watcher/observer'. It was interesting see all the different people: tall-short, skinny-muscular-chubby, young-old, very fit-not very fit.  They were all at the same place, same time and many doing similar things...I'm sure the results varied; as did the lives up to that point and even what lies ahead.

In the pool, I used my fins for the first 2/3 rds of my time. The were helpful and made breathing much easier. I did notice though that even with my fins on, the guy in the next lane was still faster than me. And when I took them off for the last ~10 minutes ... I felt like I wasn't even moving at all! With only 4 more times scheduled in the pool and still not done a timed 300 meters .. I'm thinking my buddies will indeed be finished with the whole event before I get in and finish my pool leg. So, just because I want to learn to swim better-isn't a guarantee that I actually will learn to swim better. 

Going to the gym and exercising isn't a guarantee that I'll get more fit. Eating right isn't a guarantee that I'll be more healthy. Today I'm struck with the thought - there are no guarantees in this life other than to have a relationship with God: to seek him first and allow him to fulfill the rest of life. It's not a throw my hands up and sit and pout, it's more do my best but still allow God to be God. I want to continue to work my best and hardest, but I need to be careful not to require the results to be success: life is more than that and God is WAY WAY MORE than that! I guess what I'm hearing myself say is to always try to do my best in everything-but don't be proud since all I have was given to me by God. Even the ability to improve has been given by God. Life is much more than food or clothes, it's about relationships: with God and with each other!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan. I enjoy glancing at these. I agree with the comment you make at the end that our relationship with God is the most important thing – in some sense the only thing we can count on. We are not guaranteed that life will be a breeze, that we and our kids will live a long, happy, and healthy life, etc. On the other hand, I think there are certain choice and activities that carry with them definite consequences and rewards. Going to the gym and exercising guarantees that a person will be more fit than if they do not do those things. Eating right guarantees that a person will be healthier than if they do not eat right. (Yes, neither are a guarantee that you will always be in perfect health.) What do you think? Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that what we choose to do does effect our lives, but not to the point of any guarantee ... that's a bit of a struggle for me. I'm not trying to split hairs here; once we say guarantee it just feels like something else. I think the truth of the Scripture is the only source of guarantees. I would expect to be more fit from exercising; and to have a healthier body by eating right - these must be some kind of laws of nature: but for me it stops just short of being a guarantee. What is hanging me up is the sovereignty of God; and to say we have a guarantee seems to take God out of the picture. God has made shadows go backwards, physically moved people by his Spirit, loosened the tongues of animals, ... and on and on. I think in the physical alone there are laws in place, but there are times when things of the Spirit trump the physical laws. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .