Thursday, February 26, 2009

Completing todays plan

Today was 76 minutes on the trainer followed by some time with the weights. (It will be nice see what patterns emerge as I log not just the facts here, but some of the emotions too.)

The time on the bike was more difficult today. One key factor was the temp being 69 degrees and I didn't have a fan. Normally a single water bottle is plenty for both the ride and the weights, but today I was short on water. Another factor was the trainer. (It is having the same problems as the first unit. I've contacted the manufacture and now know that the replacement I was sent wasn't one of the redesigned units that should be available in a couple days-and I'm told these units run cooler, quieter and have a consistent resistance. So, I'm looking forward to replacing mine as soon as it comes.) None-the-less, the training must go on, so I spent most of my time trying to sustain a medium high cadence (~100) at as high as possible resistance. My Cateye said my average was ~24 mph when I was done, but I'm not putting a lot of confidence in that. What's important to me is that I was sweating greatly and maintaining a good working heart rate (HR). I was not entertained by watching any movies, but instead was continuing to listen to the "Walking with God" audio book. It's still very good and I'd still highly recommend it.

The time with the weights, even though it's a reduced routine and I'm only doing it twice a week, I'm still seeing some improvements. That's encouraging. Especially as my muscles seem to be leaning out. These are challenging for me, but I still want to keep them in my routine as I think they contribute to a better balance for my everyday life.

I think I gave a good effort this morning. Time went by slowly, but I kept on going (1:16:35 when I was done on the bike) Same for the weights: when the timer went off, I started the next set. (I use a timer and give myself usually 60 seconds between sets.) I managed one extra pull up and one additional rep on the bench press - progress. Breakfast was nice: oatmeal, barley and millet, with olive oil, flax seed, ground almonds, maple syrup and soy milk. Lunch is made and will be enjoyed after this entry is finished: tuna, mustard, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sweat potato, carrot, broccoli, spinach, onions, black beans, craisns, asiago cheese and chopped peanuts. I'm not loosing much weight, but I am still eating well.

I'm looking forward to another group lunch ride tomorrow. It is supposed to be windy again, but I'm learning to accept that-at least I'm not riding indoors by myself. And hoping for a 4 1/2 hr ride on Sat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .