Saturday, February 21, 2009

Today was, in a word..."Windy!"

Today was one of those days where the wind was flying a 30 foot flag straight out! (See the photo to right.) It was also the kind of day that in the past I would have chosen not to ride: it's to windy. But with only one day a week to get in a long ride, I didn't have that luxury today.

I was able to sleep in this morning until 6.  My hope was to be out the door by 6:30, but I was running a little behind as it took longer to gather my snacks and make my water bottles; and it was a bit darker than I wanted to ride in. (I added a second flashing light to the rear of my bike, so it is VERY visible now. Next I need to get a better 'white' light for the front of my bike.) So at just a little after 7 I was ready. It was overcast and the wind was present, but not as bad as the wind and cold were supposed to be as the morning grew on.

The wind was out of the SSW when I left and not too bad to ride against. Just over an hour into my ride, after reaching my furthest South point, the wind had changed directions and intensity: it was now almost due North (NNW) and as strong as I've ever had to ride into before.  Once I started heading North, I had to stop within 10 yards to put back on my warm gloves and added my windbreaker to my already three layers of undershirt, shirt and light weight jacket. I was glad to have it and wore it for the remainder of the ride. I had wool socks and wind breaker sweats: glad for them too.

For those ~15 miles directly into the wind much of the time, I was often in my lowest gear (39/27) and had I had another lower I'd have been in it too. It was tough riding. If I were to have a riding "Nemesis", it would probably be the wind. It's amazing how the wind can take so much out of you. It can get into your head. And it's not equal: the cost in effort and time into the wind is always greater than the benifit with it to your back. 

Once I got back to a leg that is a good loop (the Dam), I did a few laps there. That loop is more East-West so the wind was a cross component and a little easier to deal with. But at over 3 hrs into the ride, it still wasn't easy. This is also a point in my rides where I typically start getting "barn fever" and today was no exception. I knew I wanted to see 4 hrs and it was very difficult making myself do additional laps for time now as the distance was not important. I new the forecast was wind, so I took the distance I was wanting to ride ~70 miles and the normal average speed and came up with ~ 4 hrs for the ride today.  That was my goal.  It ended up being around 55 mile with an avg around 14 mph.  But the real accomplishment for me today was to ride for 4 hrs (and 1 minute). I haven't been on my bike for that long sense early last fall. So it was a tough ride, but a good mental milestone too.

Tomorrow is my weekly rest day. I'm glad for that. Next week I am planning on adding 30 minutes to my time on the bike in the trainer: it's been 4 hrs per week and it will now be 4 1/2 (two 75 minute rides and one 120 minute ride). I'd also like to see a single weekly long ride of 4 or more hrs. It's a long time, but it's for a good purpose. 

How is your training going? What are you training for? I'm curious...

1 comment:

  1. I know I hate running into the wind! It must be even worse with the increased speed on a bike. Uggh!

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .