Friday, February 20, 2009

I like Fridays ...

I think for today's entry, I will go in reverse chronological order.

After coming home from the "Friday Lunch Ride" (FLR), there was a box waiting for me at the door!! (I like getting boxes.) This one I knew had my fins
in it - had only the come a day earlier I would have enjoyed having them for my swim this morning, but none-the-less I am glad they are here and may have a hard time waiting until Wed to try them out! I also ordered a second SuperFlash for me or my bike...not sure where to put it yet, I just know I want to add it in hopes of increasing my visibility to cars on the road. Safety First!

The FLR was Great.  There were seven of us out there: a couple of new people and some others that are getting their bike legs back for the upcoming biking season.  It was 4 miles out and 4 back for the first lap with the focus on having a good time (out was into a very strong wind). The back trip was kind of the same, with the now becoming traditional "sprint" towards the end. We visited briefly and then did another lap - the second one at a bit of a quicker pace and ending with another "sprint".  It was very nice and fun to have so many friends out there and to meet a couple new ones.

This morning was my fifth run-swim, with five more planned before the Tri (in 22 days). The time in the pool was more drills and a little more than normal trying to put together my stroke for 10 - 15 meters at a time.  I'm still struggling with breathing so I get very winded and have a hard time even finishing the 25 meters.  But, my fins came today, and I have new hope that the drills with the added benefit of the fins will start to work!!  :-)  I saw a picture of the 50 meter pool that the Tri will be held in-wow, very nice. And a bit intimidating...it has a deep end and there's no resting after 25 meters. With three weeks remaining, I still have quite a ways to go.
 
The time on the treadmill was good too. I've been using the time to get more comfortable with what heart rates (HR's) I can sustain while running and how those map to paces for the 3k distance. Today it was 150's with a brief push towards the end into the 170's and a sprint at the end up to 180 (It could have gone higher, but I was sucking for air with my eyes closed after pressing the STOP button). Once I pushed the STOP button I was all about stopping and getting my breath. My hamstrings aren't bothering me today; I'm glad for that. It normally takes me 3 weeks to start adjusting to a work out and today is that 3 week mark for the time in the pool and on the treadmill.

My plan for tomorrow is to get out early and get in as close to 4 hrs on the bike as I can. 
It's supposed to be windy and cool/cold, so with last Saturdays ride still in my memory (about not ever getting warm), I will dress warmer and have a backpack to carry clothes if I get to hot. Being cold is not good for my mental attitude.

That's the exercise portion of this day. The highlights were getting my swimming fins and the FLR.  It's nice to ride outside, even with the wind it's nicer than on the trainer by myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .