Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 1 of a 10 week Goal

Today started with the alarm at 6:06; well actually I woke up at 6:05 and got up and turned the alarm off before it went off so as to not disturb my sleeping wife. My bike was already in the Kitchen so I don't wake anyone up walking it down the hall. Then it's just a matter of getting dressed, making a water bottle, packing my phone and camera (just in case), airing up my tires (120 psi) and heading outside to put my socks and shoes on.

Exercise: the ride this morning was ~13 minutes of warm up, ~20 minutes of intervals and then back home with short - moderate hills: 14.9 miles total, max speed 46.2 (down hill), avg speed 18.4, time 48:30. Once I got to the dam I did maximum effort sprints every 2 minutes for about 30 seconds in duration and then recovered for 90: that was done 5 times on the 4 miles across. One the way back it was 60 seconds of 100 cadence with 60 seconds recovery and did 6 of those. The rest of the trip back was moderate effort up the hills and on the flats. I saw two friends, that I don't see anywhere but at the dam now: he was running on the way out and was done when I was done, so we were able to talk briefly. That's always nice to visit with someone you don't see very often. 

As for nutrition: I'd say today was about an 8. 
Breakfast after the ride (and getting the recycle and trash out, cleaning the counter, getting rid of the ants that came in during the night and washing the Vita-mix) consisted of a smoothie: orange, apple, carrot, spinach, blue berries, strawberries, yellow squash, millet, flax seed, soy milk, whey protein, sweet potato and ice. I made enough to share so my wife had some too (a small glass and I had a large glass before getting ready and took the rest with me for a mid morning snack). I also had some Apple Cider Vinegar in water.
Lunch was a stir fry: onion, squash, sweet potato, red and green bell pepper, garlic, basmati rice, chicken breast (cubed with cyan pepper, olive oil, black pepper and garlic powder), spinach, mustard, more garlic and a little natural soy sauce. It was tasty! (I ate to much - even though it was sound, portions are an area that I need to cut back on.) After lunch I took a cup with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and some nesquick with me (not nutritious).
Dinner was a salad: albacore with mustard, cyan, olive oil, black pepper, spinach, onion, carrot, red and green bell peppers, yellow squash, black beans, crasins, crushed almonds and sweet potato. My wife cooked some chicken enchiladas but had a small amount of my salad instead. I also had a couple bites of the enchiladas too. Then I brushed my teeth around 7; which for me is a reminder that my mouth is closed for business for the rest of the evening. That was good.

So I think it was a good start today. Tomorrow will likely look very much like today nutritionally. Exercise wise I'll do an easier recovery ride in the morning and will plan on doing the fast hard group ride in the evening. My legs are just a little tired from this mornings ride - so that's nice. My stomach is a little off, but not in a bad way. It's probably the garlic. I normally eat a fair bit, but I've had A LOT today of raw and lightly cooked.

I said it is day 1 of 10 weeks: by that I mean there are 10 weeks until the Waco century that I'd like to ride in and try for a time of under 5 hours. So it was a good start towards that goal. I'm not starting at ground zero, but I'm also not at a place where I could accomplish the goal given a chance right now. So, I need to be wise in the time to prepare. It should be fun!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .