Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tuesday Fast Group ride

This evening was my 3rd ride with the fast group. And it was the third time I came home exhausted! It's a workout that I just cant seem to motivate myself to have with out the others pushing me.

The ride in a nut shell: we start out and ride over the lake for a few miles to where the hills start, that first part is kind of the warm up (18-22 mph in a group of 20+ riders). Once the hills start, that's when everyone puts the hammer down. That's when I just hold on and try not to get dropped off the lead group (those first 40 minutes are brutal). Much of the group will split after 30-60 minutes. From then on it's kind of like a race or a group ride that you have to keep up or get dropped. Tonight the group ride lasted about 1:45. Making friends is going to be slow as the talking is very minimal with most people sucking for air...

The trips up Valley View are long enough to require me to work and recover at the same time. If I had HR data I'm certain that I'd be seeing higher numbers than I've seen before - so I'm sure I'm getting a good Heart work out. And on the return part by myself after the meeting point - I feel recovered in my heart but my legs are spent and it's a slow ride back. Much like if I were an old horse heading back to the barn after a hard ride.

It was tough - and good. I'm always glad to have done them and hope to continue doing them as they are my hardest ride of the week.

After getting home I made a fruit smoothie - as I was thinking about it for the last couple miles of the return trip .. longing to be done and eating something to help me recover. [This is a part of the mystry photo from the previous entry. One of the many neat pretty flowers on my porch.]

2 comments:

  1. It always seems hard getting to next level but ohh soo sweet when you get there! Keep up the good/hard work. I'm thinking you can give Lance Armstrong a run for the yellow jersey in 2010 if you keep up that training routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks for the encouragement Jon. Since I'm a newbie at cycling - it's still full of 'Firsts' for me. That makes it fun. (To read of people that have done 20+ Ironman events and have lost the motivation - I guess I'm glad I'm not there and most likely will never be; as my anti-sinking skills are poor at best.)

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .