Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sun Night...

Wow, here it is Sunday night already - and after 9 PM. With out a posting for 5 days - much has happened; but then this isn't a blog on my life as a whole but on the nutrition and exercise parts.

Last week was a low week for exercise with only three rides and only one over an hour; that was the Saturday ride. It was 46 miles, 2:29, 18.4 avg. The other rides were 10 miles on Tu and 17 on Wed - both with others so they had more relational value - which is something I don't get a lot of so I am thankful for it when I can get it.  

This week I'm planning on adding in a little more discipline that has escaped me these last several weeks. I'm setting the alarm again and am planning on riding in the mornings (unless it's raining) even if it's only for an hour. I do have one last goal on the bike that I'd like to accomplish this fall if possible: that's to ride 100 miles in under 5 hrs. [My friend Ed got his sub-5 hr 100 mile ride in on Sat! Way to go Ed!! Ed is a fellow ferret and it was great to ride with him in May on the 6 day ride.] To do that I'm going to have to start training harder again and work on getting my strength and speed up. I expect this week will be a week of training by myself with the exception of the fast hill group ride on Tuesday evening. 

Nutrition wise: I think I'm due for some detoxing. Why you may ask; or how do I know? First - I can feel it; second - I can smell it; third - I can see it! I will just elaborate briefly on the second one: my body sweats as it has done and is supposed to do to cool itself down. This is good and desirable. The difference is that in the past - I wouldn't stink; I'd just sweat. I noticed today - that my sweat stinks. For me that is an indicator that I need to do some detoxing. It's also been quite a while since I've detoxed - so I'm sure I'm due. 

So in preparations for that I will be eating spinach salads for my evening meals and fruit / veggie smoothies for breakfast. That and the daily exercise should be a good start. Then I will add some juice days the following week if needed. (Juicing has the benefit of letting your digestive tract rest and that energy can be used elsewhere. It's something I did regularly last year and due to the training of earlier this year haven't done much of.) My wife wants to join me, but I don't think she's ready for a juice fast for 3-5 days. Instead we'll use the Vita-mix in the mornings and salads in the eventing and escalate after a week if needed. (Hopefully by the end of the week I will sweat with out stinking - which is what has been normal for me.)

[Photos: someone else at the lake having fun as I rode across the dam on Saturday; the clouds at the start of my sat ride; working on 'our' boat - hoping to enjoy the lake some time soon too.]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .