Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Family time...

Today was another 7 AM start; the kids were up late last night...so was I. We had plans to go to the zoo today, so I figured I could start my ride later than normal since I wasn't going into work today. So I have a brief and bland training report--then some thoughts from our trip to the zoo.

My training time today was nothing spectacular: I worked hard yesterday so 
I figured I'd take it a bit easy today and rode for 90 minutes with out my HRM-it wasn't hard pushing. Just turning in an easy gear around 85 avg cadence.  Tomorrow I plan on getting up at my regular time. Not sure yet if I'll just ride or do weights too. I'll decide in the morning based on how I feel.

With the kids home--we wanted to do somethings with them, so today we went to the zoo with the youngest kids (J-8 & B-10); they are the ones who've kind of missed out on doing things. The first thing we noticed was that many others also had decided to go to the zoo today: MANY!! 

The zoo is close to the freeway and the traffic was backed up onto the freeway, so we started waiting in lines before we even exited. After about 15 minutes of being patient and watching the light 20 cars ahead cycle through green lights with out anyone making it through, we started looking for another route. One was found with less traffic and we had the right of way. The parking was already full when we got there, so we were allowed to park along the curb (saving the parking fee and being very close to the entrance gate). It took over 30 minutes to get off the freeway and parked: maybe a total distance of 1/2 mile. 

One of the many nice things about the zoo is that you are allowed to bring in your own food and drinks. This is Great!! I had made lunch for the four of us, so we started there at the car before heading in and then brought snacks and water in with us. The highlight for the kids was riding the monorail at the end of the day. We had walked the whole park and it was nice to be shaded and sitting and still able to see the different animals. If we were wearing pedometers--I'm certain we would have been over 10,000 steps for the day.

We then were able to go out to eat (after driving in rush hour traffic). It was nice and good that we could do something special with B & J.

The photos are from today's trip to the zoo - just in case you were thinking we had a pet Gorilla! 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog. I had to read all of March. Very inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool! I'm glad you were encouraged.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .