Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday: mental training...

[photos: airplane with fish painted on it, water drops on the window, sleep removed from my eye (yes it looks like glass)]

Today was the last day out of town and as I write this I'm in my own chair at my own desk in my own house with my own family!  Ahhh...it's so nice to be home again!

This morning started at a leisurely 7:30 ish AM. There was nothing on the agenda for today except exercise, pack and get to the airport for the flight home. I wanted to have a 'good' work out this morning, so not having access to my bike I was aiming for up to an hour on the treadmill. The actual time was just over an hour and a little over 7 miles covered. That includes walking speed up to 12 mph. No HRM data.

Mental Training
I will typically walk for a 1/4 to half mile and then start running. I like to build as I progress so I'll usually start around an 8 minute/mil pace and then bump the pace up by a half minute after each 1/2 to a full mile. So after doing this for 4 miles, including a brief time at full speed, I stopped running for a recovery walk. I then start back up again but usually go straight to 6 min/mi and a short time at 5 then recover again and repeat--those are my intervals on the treadmill. 

But today was different after that initial work up and recovery. As I was running hard and planning on pushing a little harder for a very short time before recovering, I had the thought of "NO: don't go out in a flash of light, slow down and persevere--No stopping!" I wasn't sure when to stop; I like to have goals of "two more minutes" or "another 1/4 mile", but this thought was "just keep going". I was thinking of the upcoming ride and the perseverance that will be required for it. So, rather than stopping when I was ready to rest, I bumped the pace down and kept going, then bumped it down some more and kept going...no stopping; not sure when to stop.

To my mind came the story where Elisha told the king to strike the ground with the arrows and he only struck the ground 3 times. Elisha was angry with him for not striking the ground five or six times (2 Kings 13:14-25). What did that story have to do with me? And why right now? As I glanced down I saw the calories on the treadmill turn to 667..hmmm, did I just cross the line where when my physical work is having Spiritual implications? Did I just strike the ground once and God is seeing how many times I will strike it for those in the DRC

It's a very difficult thought to wrestle with. So I continued to wrestle with it while I continued to press on, backing down the pace if I needed to, so I could keep going. Praying for those in the DRC; praying for the other riders; praying for myself that this would be about God's strength because I want to stop. Passing 777.7 calories and asking for a stopping point but still feeling like I need to keep going. More praying.

At the one hour mark, I felt peace about stopping. I felt like I honored what God was speaking to me: that this ride (and my life too) is not a short flash of bright light, but it is about a call for perseverance and self sacrifice; for us the riders, those that give, those that support, and those in the DRC that risk the great physical cost of all that they are and have physically. 

It is a great honor to be in relationship with the Living God!

Those arrow strikes by king Jehoash had meaning and consequence that he didn't appreciate-so too does more in our lives than we imagine. Pray for yourself, and me too, that we would be more sensitive to the work of Gods Spirit.

[Don't forget to leave your thoughts for the rest of us to read.]

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are home. Great workout but a much greater lesson for me to consider on the spiritual side. It has motivated me to push myself beyond my limits spiritually and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    Great post today! I sometimes wonder how many times I have been totally oblivious to what God is asking of me - and you have encouraged me to keep "tuning in" and pressing on.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .