Thursday, March 5, 2009

Glad to be up today

A little more sleep can be a good thing...as was my story yesterday. I didn't set the alarm and was prepared to either sleep, or exercise if my internal alarm went off. Having our Granddaughter over primed me to the thought that it may be a night of reduced sleep for my wife and or myself. As it turned out, after she joined us around 3 AM, it was a fairly restful remaining mornings sleep and my internal alarm didn't go off until close to 7 AM.  Ahhh ... 7-8 hrs of sleep...that was nice!

This morning was a little different: I set the alarm last night as I didn't want to skip exercising today. It was a bit of a late night, so I'll be working off of ~6 hrs rest; but I have the reserves of yesterdays extra sleep. Today was time on the bike trainer and then 30 minutes of weights. The trainer is not working correctly and as a result I can either spin quickly (100 rpm) or I can push a little harder and have the resistance spike so quickly and sharply that only 15 seconds later I'm having to back off so that the resistance will lighten up. (I called the manufacturer yesterday to see when my replacement was coming and was told I should have it tomorrow: YAHOOO!!! I am looking forward to riding a proper unit again.) So, today it was mostly spinning with lighter resistance; thinking about my form and technique. Seventy five minutes went by pretty quickly. I then did my reduced weight routine: punching bag, hanging knee raises, bench press, pull-ups, triceps, and curls. I am thinking of adding a leg routine back in since (thank you to those who keep working with me on my sense/since issues) the run and swim days are removed from my training docket for now.

I've noticed that my overall resting HR has come down a bit. It used to be low 50's and now seems to be high 40's: 48, 49. I think that is a good indicator of the training progress. It'd be nice to see mid to low 40's by the time the 'Big Ride' comes in May.

It was a good start for the day today. Glad to be up at my normal time (+3 minutes). Glad to have time on the bike and do my weight routine. Glad to limit my ravenous appetite to my smoothie (soy milk, carrots, apple, pear, spinach, flax seed, carob powder, peanut butter, blue berries, protein powder and ice). Glad the rest of my family is doing well this morning. Looking forward to the rest of today.

My convictions for today are: be more forgiving and love those who are difficult for me to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .