Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pushing hard, feeling sick...good.

Well, this morning was better. It had to be if I felt sick and had to sit down for a spell after getting off the bike...

It was the normal wake up time. My goal was 2 hours on the trainer this morning, but opted instead for 91 minutes of good effort instead of just 120 minutes of just getting the time in. What is most difficult for me is sustained effort - tempo training. So, after a couple miles of warm up that's what I did first: 20 minutes at a good HR (~130). Then recovered for a bit until the HR was down to around 120 and did another 20 minutes with the first half pushing hard and the second keeping the cadence up. 

Then is was max effort sprints: these I like more as I ignore the clock (mostly) and do a maximum effort for usually around 30 seconds. I use the lap button on my HRM and give myself the first 10 seconds to spin up to speed then I go all out for as long as I can: usually 20 - 40 seconds. This is where I can most see that my HRM isn't giving me all the information that I'd like to have. Once I start spinning slowly to recover, I can watch my HR continue to rise..1 beat, 3 beats ... 7 beats or more; all during the first 10-15 seconds of my recovery time. So, it's very difficult to measure my effort or even progress over the weeks. I know there is progress when I train like this because I know there is a loss when I stop! It was a good mental day today as I was listing to "Casting Crowns" and not watching any movie. Time goes more slowly; it is more difficult; it was a bit of a struggle as I wanted to stay focused and keep the effort up; it was a challenging time of good effort. When I was done and sat down to take of my bike shoes, I had to sit there and not move as I was starting to feel sick. This can happen to me when I push hard, so it was a welcome side-effect of good effort. The last 2 minutes on the bike were maintaining a cadence over 100 and watching my HR go up: 155, 158, 162, ... 171.

(The next step in training tools for me would be a Power meter. This would give me the amount of power that is being put out at any given time. So during a sprint I would know what my max power is and would be able to track that number as well as us it for training. But the unit I've been looking at (CinQo) costs a bit more than I paid for my whole bike! Yes ... they're expensive. I've sent them a note asking if they would consider a lease or loaner in prep for the 6 day 600 mile ride; and was glad that they didn't slam me for asking, but rather even left a little room for hope once the model for my bike is available-possibly later this month. That would be a Great training tool!)

Today is day 3 of the Juicing. Beets are very good during a juice fast, so today it will be more beets, carrots and lemon. I enjoyed a glass of grapefruit juice and a small protein drink. I've also got a pineapple, carrot, spinach drink to switch up with when I get tired of the beet taste. The theme for today is patience and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter link
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .